With a little ingenuity and these seven do-it-yourself tricks, you can turn common household items into time- and money-saving tools that make it easier to care for yourself and your loved ones.
To make light-night walks around the house easier…
- Take glow-in-the-dark tape and scissors,
- Cut the tape into appropriate-sized pieces.
- Place the tape around light switches and thermostats and along walls. Presto!
When it’s hard to grasp a moving straw…
- Take a straw, clothespin, plastic tubing and two-part epoxy glue,
- Cut the tubing down to size.
- Attach the clothespin to the side of a glass.
- Glue the tubing to the clothespin.
- Slide the straw through the tubing. Enjoy!
For a safer way to lather up in the shower…
- Take a bar of soap and a pair of panty hose,
- Cut off one leg.
- Slip the soap into the toe of the stocking.
- Tie to a towel bar or shower head. Now you have an accessible, non-slippery soap that will lather through the stocking.
When you need a manicure but have a hard time holding small objects…
- Take nail clippers, a nail file, a 2×2 block of wood, a popsicle stick, a suction cup and two-part epoxy glue,
- Attach the wood block to the suction cup to hold it in place.
- Glue the clippers to the wood block.
- Length the arm of the clippers by attaching a popsicle stick.
- Add a nail file to the side. Beautiful nails await!
For a cheaper, longer-lasting ice pack…
- Take water, rubbing alcohol, a measuring cup and a plastic bag,
- Add one part rubbing alcohol.
- Add two parts water.
- Pour the liquid into a plastic bag.
- Freeze it. This ice pack will stay cooler longer and will mold to your body.
When it’s hard to lift beverages out of the fridge…
- Take a place mat and a nonstick pad,
- Place the pad on the place mat in the fridge.
- Put beverage cartons on the nonstick pad.
- Now the cartons can be poured by just tilting them forward. Cheers!
To prevent falls on slipper surfaces…
- Take no-slip paint and a paint roller,
- Apply the paint to walking surfaces inside and outside the home.
- The texture of the surface will become gritty. A safer step!
For more tips, go to aarp.org/caregiving/tips-hacks/videos.
If you or your family member is considering in-home care as part of a plan to age in place, contact Family Matters In-Home Care today for a free consultation. Our team is dedicated to supporting your family and helping older adults enjoy life in the comfort of their own home for as long as possible.
Some of the services offered by Family Matter In-Home Care include: Alzheimer’s & Dementia Care, Bed & Wheelchair Transfer Assistance, Companionship, Housekeeping & Meal Preparation, Personal Care, Recovery Care, and Transportation.