A Helpful Elder Care Planning Checklist for Home Care
In-home care provides a variety of benefits for your loved one and your family. Research shows it can expedite healing, and improve and extend quality of life. It can also be more financially viable than other care options, while preserving your loved one’s sense of independence.
Choosing an in-home care provider is a big decision, as you will want to make sure that the person and/or team you hire is a good fit for your family. Here are some things to consider when choosing an in-home care provider.
- How long has the company been in existence?
- Is the company part of a larger organization, or is it family owned and operated?
- How flexible is the company in terms of providing a care package that is a perfect fit?
- When you met a care representative, did you feel like they were someone you could trust?
- Does the company work with long-term care insurance?
- Are the caregivers insured and bonded?
Who will be caring for your loved one, and how will they be chosen for you and your family? Make sure you have a good understanding of the process, and feel at ease with the caregivers’ professionalism.
- How are the caregivers screened and trained?
- How are caregivers matched and assigned?
- What happens if you want to change caregivers?
- What happens if your caregiver is sick or has an emergency?
- How are your caregivers tracked to see if shifts have been completed?
- Do we get the same care provider or do you send different providers?
Be clear on what is included in the rate you will be paying, and make sure the services are a match for you and your family’s specific needs. Address things such as pets, errands, diet, medicine, routine, and hygiene.
- What types of services does the company provide?
- Can caregivers provide transportation?
- What happens if you need to alter your schedule or service?
- What is included in the rate you are paying for the services?
- What is the price range for services?
- Will you be easily able to communicate with the person who is supporting your loved one?
Keep this checklist in mind before committing to in-home care services. The right home care provider should serve as a constant partner beginning the minute you decide to work together. At Family Matters, our promise is simple: We will be there for your family. Call us for a free consultation, and see for yourself how we go above and beyond for every family we care for.