What to Look for in a Home Care Agency
The right in home care provider for you and your family should serve as a constant partner, beginning the minute you decide to work together. It may be one of the biggest decisions you and your family make regarding the health and livelihood of your loved ones. To help make that decision easier, we’ve put together checklists and useful questions so you know what to look for in a home care agency.
Choosing an in-home care provider is a big decision, as you will want to make sure that the person and/or team you hire is a good fit for your family. Asking the right questions can help make the decision easier.
When choosing a home care company, please consider:
- The Company. Make sure you are choosing a home care company that has years of relevant experience in addressing the needs with which your family is most concerned. Be sure it has a strong history and a solid reputation.
- The Caregivers. Who will be caring for your loved one, and how will they be chosen for you and your family? Make sure you have a good understanding of the process, and feel at ease with the caregivers’ professionalism.
- The Services. Be clear on what is included in the rate you will be paying, and make sure the services are a match for you and your family’s specific needs. Address pets, errands, diet, medicine, routine, and hygiene.
- How long has the company been in existence?
- Is the company part of a larger organization, or is it family owned and operated?
- How flexible is the company in terms of providing a care package that is a perfect fit?
- When you met a care representative, did you feel like they were someone you could trust?
- Does the company work with long-term care insurance?
- Are the caregivers insured and bonded?
- How are the caregivers screened and trained?
- How are caregivers matched and assigned?
- What happens if there is a desire to change caregivers?
- What happens if the assigned caregiver is sick or has an emergency?
- How are the caregivers tracked to see if shifts have been completed?
- Do we get the same home care care provider or does the company send different providers?
- What types of services does the home care company provide?
- Can caregivers provide transportation?
- What happens if we need to alter our schedule or service?
- What is included in the rate of services?
- What is the price range for services?
- Will there be direct communication with the person who is supporting your loved one?
In-home care provides a variety of benefits for your loved one and your family. Research shows it can expedite healing, and improve and extend quality of life. It can also be more financially viable than other care options, while preserving your loved one’s sense of independence. If you have additional questions on what to look for in a home care agency – contact us – We’re happy to help! We’ve also compiled these questions and more into a helpful worksheet which you can download for free: A Guide to Choosing an In-Home Care Company
If you or your family member is considering in-home care as part of a plan to age in place, contact Family Matters In-Home Care today for a free consultation. Our team is dedicated to supporting your family and helping older adults enjoy life in the comfort of their own home for as long as possible.
Some of the services offered by Family Matter In-Home Care include: Alzheimer’s & Dementia Care, Bed & Wheelchair Transfer Assistance, Companionship, Housekeeping & Meal Preparation, Personal Care, Recovery Care, and Transportation.
Serving the San Francisco Bay Area and Greater San Diego, Family Matter In-Home Care has offices throughout California including: Campbell, CA, Roseville, CA, San Marcos, CA, and San Mateo, CA.