Alzheimer’s Disease Facts and Figures, an annual report released by the Alzheimer’s Association®, reveals the burden of Alzheimer’s and dementia on individuals, caregivers, government and the nation’s health care system. These resources are made available courtesy of alz.org.
- 2020 Alzheimer’s Disease Facts and Figures Full Report [PDF]
- 2020 Alzheimer’s Disease Facts and Figures Infographic [PDF]
The Quick Facts on Alzheimer’s Disease
- More than Americans are living with Alzheimer’s.
- Alzheimer’s disease is the 6th leading cause of death in the United States.
- 50% of primary care physicians believe the medical profession is not ready for the growing number of people with Alzheimer’s or other dementias.
- 1 in 3 seniors dies with Alzheimer’s or another dementia. It kills more than breast cancer and prostate cancer combined.
- 16 million Americans provide unpaid care for people with Alzheimer’s or other dementias.
- These caregivers provided an estimated 18.6 billion hours valued at nearly $244 billion.
- In 2020, Alzheimer’s and other dementias will cost the nation $305 billion—By 2050, these costs could rise as high as $1.1 trillion.
- Between 2000 and 2018 deaths from heart disease have decreased 7.8% while deaths from Alzheimer’s disease have increased 146%.
Alzheimer’s Disease Facts & Figures Infographic
For more resources & information, visit https://www.alz.org/alzheimers-dementia/facts-figures.
If you or your family member is considering in-home care as part of a plan to age in place, contact Family Matters In-Home Care today for a free consultation. Our team is dedicated to supporting your family and helping older adults enjoy life in the comfort of their own home for as long as possible.
Some of the services offered by Family Matter In-Home Care include: Alzheimer’s & Dementia Care, Bed & Wheelchair Transfer Assistance, Companionship, Housekeeping & Meal Preparation, Personal Care, Recovery Care, and Transportation.