Seniorliving.org has a robust list of restaurants, retailers, and service providers that offer senior citizens discounts. Because it’s such a great compilation, we wanted to share some of the popular restaurant and retail discounts offered to seniors. You can see their full list here: Senior Discounts.
Restaurants That Offer Senior Discounts
Perhaps one of the easiest places to find a senior discount is at your favorite restaurants. Though most chains offer discounts across the board, many smaller locations will as well. Be sure to ask about special event savings days or early dinner discounts available. Restaurants typically will advertise these discounts.
- Dunkin Donuts: For those who are looking for a discount and have an AARP membership, expect a free donut with the purchase of a large beverage here.
- iHop: Senior discounts here are on meal prices and drinks. Up to 10 percent off is provided.
- Golden Corral: Ask for a discount here. They vary from one location to the next, but are often discounted meal prices.
- Denny’s: For a deep savings on meals, visit this location. Many offer up to 15 percent off. AARP members could get a lower price significantly.
- Outback: Outback’s senior discount is for AARP members. They can save up to 10 percent on their purchase here.
- Taco Bell: Most Taco Bell locations provide individuals with a discount of five percent off their meal. Most also provide free beverages to seniors when requested.
- Burger King: Seniors may be able to get a 10 percent discount plus additional discounts on drinks at Burger King.
- McDonalds: A discount here could help you to get a free cup of coffee or a discounted price on one. Locations vary significantly in what they offer to seniors.
- Chick-fil-A: This location provides a free, refillable senior drink with a purchase. It doesn’t apply to coffee, though.
- Subway: Individual locations differ significantly. However, many locations will offer seniors a discount of 10 percent on their purchase.
- Cracker Barrel: A discount senior menu is available at this location.
- Olive Garden: Olive Garden offers senior pricing for early bird dinners.
- Red Lobster: Seniors may be able to find discounts through a senior menu provided.
- Applebee’s: Discounts here vary but can be as much as 15 percent.
- KFC: Individuals get a small drink with any meal purchased here.
- Jack in the Box: This location offers up to 20 percent off meals.
- Texas Roadhouse: Seniors may be able to find discounts through a senior menu provided.
- Wendy’s: Seniors can receive discounts, but these vary according to age and location.
- Chili’s: Seniors over 55 are eligible to receive 10 percent off of their bill.
- Dairy Queen: Seniors are eligible to receive 10 percent off at some locations, while other locations offer a free small drink to seniors with an additional purchase.
Retailers That Offer Senior Discounts
Retail senior discounts are not as readily available as others. However, many retailers will offer a small discount to seniors who ask for it. Some of those companies include the following:
- Kohl’s: Kohl’s offers senior discounts every Wednesday. They can be up to 15 percent off. They allow seniors to combine these discount days with coupons to save even more.
- Ross Stores: Seniors can get 10 percent off if they shop on Tuesdays in the store. Those over 55 qualify for this discount.
- Walgreens: Walgreens offers lucrative senior discounts. Seniors can save 20 percent off one time a month. Seniors need to use their Balance Rewards to obtain the discounts.
- Rite Aid: At Rite Aid, seniors can obtain a 10 percent discount on Tuesdays. Additionally, seniors receive a 10 percent off discount on prescriptions.
- Banana Republic: Seniors can get up to 10 percent off.
- Walmart: Walmart offers very few discounts to seniors. Some locations can offer reduced costs to seniors some days each week.
- Savers: Many locations offer discounts, up to 10 percent. However, some do not offer any discounts to shoppers.
- Home Depot: Home Depot does not offer specific senior discounts. However, it does price match the discounts that other retailers may offer for the same product in their location.
- TJ Maxx: Shoppers here can qualify for up to 10 percent off when they shop on Mondays. However, this discount is now limitedly available (may only apply in Florida right now).
- Big Lots: Some locations offer discount savings cards. Some locations offer up to 10 percent off through their discount programs.
- Goodwill: Perhaps one of the best known locations for savings. Seniors can get between 10 and 20 percent off one day each week. Locations set the dates that work for their needs.
- Bealls Outlet: Seniors get 15 percent off every Tuesday.
- Target: Limited access to senior discounts is available at Target. However, some locations may offer discounts on specific days for various events.
- Marshall’s: Marshall’s provides seniors with limited discounts. Special offers may be available at some locations.
- Kmart: A limited number of stores still offer the senior discount of 40 percent off on Wednesdays for seniors over 50.
- Joann Fabrics: On Senior Discount Day, seniors can receive 20 percent off of total purchases; must be 55 or older and discount days vary.
- Amazon: If you are an AARP member you can save 50 percent on certain Kindle e-books, 10 percent on Kindle e-readers, and 10 percent on audio and print books.
- Lowe’s: Veteran seniors can receive 10 percent off of eligible purchases
- Kroger: Some locations offer a senior discount card.
- Publix: Discounts up to five percent off apply at various times. Differ by state.
- Food Lion: Some discounts apply but this varies by location.
- Harris Teeter: Every Thursday, seniors get five percent off their purchase.
- Fred Meyer: Up to a 15 percent savings the first Tuesday of the month.
- Albertsons: Discounts apply but vary by location.
- Safeway: Seniors may qualify for discounts with a savings card.
If you or your family member is considering in-home care as part of a plan to age in place, contact Family Matters In-Home Care today for a free consultation. Our team is dedicated to supporting your family and helping older adults enjoy life in the comfort of their own home for as long as possible.
Some of the services offered by Family Matter In-Home Care include: Alzheimer’s & Dementia Care, Bed & Wheelchair Transfer Assistance, Companionship, Housekeeping & Meal Preparation, Personal Care, Recovery Care, and Transportation.