How to Age Healthily During the Senior Years
Aging is a natural process. Seniors who take care of their health as they age often enjoy higher levels of energy and a higher quality of life.
Seniors and their caregivers should focus on embracing the aging process through healthy habits so they can enjoy a better quality of life.
Top Lifestyle Tips for Healthy Aging
Accepting the aging process can help seniors stay healthy. Seniors will need to adapt their lifestyle to changing energy levels, limitations, and challenges.
Here are tips to help seniors ease the aging process:
- Include activities they love in their everyday routine
- Help them get involved in meaningful, regular activities with friends
- Schedule doctor appointments at regular intervals
- Find a way to get them moving every day to keep their body healthy
- Add more fiber to their diet
Mental, Emotional, and Physical Tips for Healthy Aging
There’s more to aging than just stiff joints or being at higher risk of certain diseases. Aging affects not only the body, but also mental and emotional health.
Mental Health Tips
- Stimulate the mind with crosswords, puzzles, and other brain challenges
- Help seniors with continuous learning—learn something new on a regular basis
- Engage in conversations often
- Talk to their doctor if trouble with memory occurs
Emotional Health Tips
- Ensure seniors are getting adequate sleep
- Encourage meditation to help de-stress
- Assist in faith building or fellowship activities
Physical Health Tips
- Help find senior fitness classes
- Assist in stretching activities
- Offer to go on walks or sit outdoors
- Monitor nutritional intake by suggesting fresh, healthy foods
- Ensure doctor visits are regularly happening
Studies show that staying positive makes a difference as seniors age. Seniors may become less frail and may even be less likely to suffer from dementia if they maintain a positive outlook. Help seniors stay positive by:
- Helping them remember what matters
- Continually focusing on hope in conversations
- Participate in things that are fun together
If you or your family member is considering in-home care as part of a plan to age in place, contact Family Matters In-Home Care today for a free consultation. Our team is dedicated to supporting your family and helping older adults enjoy life in the comfort of their own home for as long as possible.
Some of the services offered by Family Matter In-Home Care include: Alzheimer’s & Dementia Care, Bed & Wheelchair Transfer Assistance, Companionship, Housekeeping & Meal Preparation, Personal Care, Recovery Care, and Transportation.