Preventative Health Best Practices for Aging Seniors
Preventative strategies can help seniors live healthier lives with fewer risks.
60% of older adults manage two or more chronic conditions, according to one study. Some conditions that affect seniors are preventable; others aren’t but may be improved if they are recognized early enough.
There are several preventative strategies seniors can use to protect their health and reduce their risks, including certain medical tests. It’s important for seniors to have these screenings performed.
Common Preventative Services for Seniors
Everyone Over 50
- Colorectal Cancer Screening
- Annual Wellness Exam
- Influenza Vaccine
- High Blood Pressure Screening
- Skin Check
- Mental Health Checkups
Everyone Over 65
- Annual Pneumococcal Vaccines
- Diabetes Screening
- Thyroid Screening
- Annual Vitamin D Test
- Bone Density Scan
- Semi-Annual Hearing Test
- Annual Periodontal Exams
- Shingles Vaccine
- Annual Eye Exams
- Over 45 – Cholesterol Screening
- Over 50 – Annual Breast Cancer Screening, Pelvic Exam and Pap Smear
- Over 65 – Osteoporosis Screening
- Over 35 – Cholesterol Screening
- Over 50 – Prostate Cancer Screening
How to Keep Track of Tests and Screenings
With so many steps to take for preventative care, it’s easy for some tests to be overlooked or forgotten. Seniors should keep track of which services they have had performed and when. Some helpful methods for tracking include:
- Keep a checklist of annual screenings to be filled out each year
- Ask for copies of test results to keep in a binder
- Grant doctors’ offices permission to share files with each other electronically
- Sign up for electronic health records websites used by doctors’ offices
- Keep a long-term record of screenings, procedures, and other notable medical events to bring to annual wellness appointments
Other Preventative Health Strategies
Besides screenings, tests, and vaccinations, the top strategies seniors can use to prevent health problems include:
- A healthy diet
- Regular exercise
- Getting rest
Top Reasons to Take Preventative Measures
Did you know some preventable diseases can develop without noticeable symptoms? That’s one reason why screenings are important. Other reasons to have screenings as an older adult include:
- Might take actionable steps if warning signs of problems are detected
- Possibly identify diseases early enough to treat them
- Reduce the impact of some conditions
- Improve the chances of living a long and healthy life
Home Care Tip: Many preventative services, like wellness exams or certain vaccines, are covered by most health insurance providers. Ask insurance providers for a full list of free services seniors can take advantage of.
If you or your family member is considering in-home care as part of a plan to age in place, contact Family Matters In-Home Care today for a free consultation. Our team is dedicated to supporting your family and helping older adults enjoy life in the comfort of their own home for as long as possible.
Some of the services offered by Family Matter In-Home Care include: Alzheimer’s & Dementia Care, Bed & Wheelchair Transfer Assistance, Companionship, Housekeeping & Meal Preparation, Personal Care, Recovery Care, and Transportation.
Serving the San Francisco Bay Area and Greater San Diego, Family Matter In-Home Care has offices throughout California including: Campbell, CA, Roseville, CA, San Marcos, CA, and San Mateo, CA.