The Alzheimer’s Disease Facts and Figures report released by the Alzheimer’s Association® contains data on the impact of this disease in every state across the nation. Below are Alzheimer’s Disease facts, figures, and statistics for the state of California.
The number of people ages 65 and older with Alzheimer’s by age
- 16,627 deaths from Alzheimer’s Disease (2018)
- Deaths from Alzheimer’s Disease has increased 276.3% since 2000.
- Alzheimer’s Disease is the 3rd leading cause of death in California.
- As of 2019, there were 590 Geriatricians in California. A 184% increase is needed to meet Alzheimer’s population needs in 2050.
- Number of caregivers (2019): 1,624,000
- Total hours of unpaid care (2019): 1,849,000,000
- Total value of unpaid care(2019) : $24,245,000,000
- The number of emergency department visits per 1,000 people with dementia (2017): 1,498
- Dementia patient hospital readmission rate (2017): 23.1%
- 20% of people in hospice have a primary diagnosis of dementia (2017).
- The # of people in hospice with a primary diagnosis of dementia (2017): 30,045
- $32, 940 per capita Medicare spending on people with dementia (2019).
For more resources & information, visit https://www.alz.org/alzheimers-dementia/facts-figures & https://www.alz.org/getmedia/e2141cc7-e1b5-4369-b509-f4da3d5b2484/california-alzheimers-facts-figures.
If you or your family member is considering in-home care as part of a plan to age in place, contact Family Matters In-Home Care today for a free consultation. Our team is dedicated to supporting your family and helping older adults enjoy life in the comfort of their own home for as long as possible.
Some of the services offered by Family Matter In-Home Care include: Alzheimer’s & Dementia Care, Bed & Wheelchair Transfer Assistance, Companionship, Housekeeping & Meal Preparation, Personal Care, Recovery Care, and Transportation.